One of the Women in the Winner’s Circle Foundation’s signature programs was the Women in the Winner’s Circle Academy: The Complete Driver. The Academy became the most comprehensive educational and training program of its kind for gifted women racers providing the skills on the track and off the track to be competitive in motor sports. Since its inception, more than 230 women drivers from five countries and 33 states, including Danica Patrick, Erin Crocker, Melanie Troxel and Sarah Fisher, have participated in this invitation-only academy.
Building on the academy’s success, St. James felt it was important to provide financial resources to these talented drivers as well as training. In 2007, Women in the Winner’s Circle Foundation announced the first scholarship fund for women race car drivers, Project Podium, with a donation from Newman’s Own Foundation. Since then, this industry-wide scholarship has been available to female race car drivers from all forms of racing, including go kart, quarter midget, drag racing, sports car racing, oval track racing, etc.
In 2013, the St. James combined resources with the Women’s Sports Foundation to establish the Women’s Sports Foundation Women in the Winner’s Circle Project Podium grant. The Fund is committed to create a diverse talent pool in motorsports and empower drivers with ability to generate financial resources to grow and sustain their racing careers; therefore, those who apply, qualify, and are approved will receive a grant on a matched fund basis only. One goal of this program is to help teach drivers how to raise sponsorship funds.
The 2018-19 application window is from August 1 through October 31, 2018. Applicants will be notified by November 30, 2018, and the 2018-19 grants will be awarded the first quarter of 2019.
Proof that funds equal to the funding amount requested have been raised from sponsorship or other forms of support for her racing for the specific racing series and season identified.
A minimum of three years of racing experience.
A complete racing resume with available supporting documentation such as qualifying sheets or box scores; media coverage; photographs, etc.
- Financial need;
- Present and potential level and ranking;
- Show of support from traditional motorsports sources; (ex. Tires, fuel, lubricants, apparel)
- Potential impact of grant on advancing women in motor sports;
- Priority given to those who present a plan for reimbursing the grant in the future, whether financially or otherwise contributing to women in motor sports;
- Limit of grant request is based on the grantee’s ability to secure matching funds (1:1) from sponsors or other resources; and
- Grantees will be required to display a Women’s Sports Foundation mark (logo) and Project Podium patch on their race suit and/or helmet and decals on race vehicle and support equipment (location TBD) as well as include information regarding the grant in press and marketing materials, including websites.
In addition to Lyn St. James, a panel of motorsports experts and business professionals selects each recipient from a list of qualified applicants.
Grant recipients must agree to the following:
- Complete a final report(s) about how the funding was used and their racing results
- Promote the Women’s Sports Foundation Project Podium grant through logos and inclusion in media materials and interviews.
The number of grants will depend on the number of qualified applications received and the amount of funding available annually.
How to Apply
During the program application period, an authorized representative must visit Foundant GLM, the Women’s Sports Foundation’s grant-management system, and follow the directions to register a new user profile or update an existing profile. Limit one (1) profile per person/email address. Once your profile is registered, you will be able to save and submit your application on the website.
Under the organization information, please enter the information for your Team. A Tax ID number is not required to register (so you may leave that space blank).
Please read carefully through the full eligibility requirements and program criteria before starting a Foundant account and applying. Applicants will be judged on what information is available or provided at the time of application submission.
Notification of Application Acceptance
You will receive an e-mail at the e-mail address provided in your profile when your application has been received.
Any application that is late, incomplete or requesting funds for an event or purchase of equipment that will occur before the applicant would receive the grant money will not be accepted.
Other conditions under which an application will not be accepted:
- Applications that are e-mailed or faxed
- Applications for programs that require compulsory religious participation
- Applications requesting funding towards the purchase of land, construction of buildings, event sponsorships, providing scholarships to individuals and/or the purchase/care of animals
- Applications requesting retroactive funding
If after reading these guidelines carefully you still have questions, please contact Elizabeth Flores-Amaya: 516-307-3915 or EFlores-Amaya@WomensSportsFoundation.org.
More information about Lyn St. James, the Women’s in the Winner’s Circle Foundation and The Complete Driver Academy may be found at www.lynstjames.com.