Established by Richard Ader, the Fund is named in honor of the late Rena “Rusty” Kanokogi who is considered the mother of women’s judo. Kanokogi held a seventh-degree black belt in judo, making her the highest-ranking American woman in the sport of judo and she fought for more than two decades to make judo an Olympic sport.
Deadlines and Relevant Dates
2019 applications closed
Individual applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents and be eligible to compete for a U.S. national team.
Applicants must be in training for national and international competition.
An individual may be awarded only one grant from the Women’s Sports Foundation per calendar year and a maximum of three grants to an individual in a lifetime.
Individuals applying for this grant are evaluated based upon the following criteria:
- Financial need
- Present and potential level and ranking
- Lack of support from traditional sources
- Role of award in continued participation and advancement
- Potential impact of grant on advancing women in sports
- Contribution to greater visibility of female athletes
- Priority given to those who present a plan for reimbursing the grant in the future, whether financially or otherwise contributing to women’s sports.
Grant and College Eligibililty
Per the NCAA Division I, II and III legislation, it is permissible for an individual to accept this scholarship since this sport is not sponsored at the NCAA level.
Grants can be used for coaching, specialized training, equipment, attire and/or travel.
A total of $5,000 in grants will be awarded each calendar year. The Fund is replenished through earnings on the endowment and donations.
How to Apply
During the program application period, an authorized representative must visit Foundant GLM, the Women’s Sports Foundation’s grant-management system, and follow the directions to register a new user profile or update an existing profile. Limit one (1) profile per person/email address. Once your profile is registered, you will be able to save and submit your application on the website.
Please read carefully through the eligibility requirements and program criteria before starting a Foundant account and applying. Applicants will be judged on what information is available or provided at the time of application submission.
Under the organization information, please enter the contact information for USA Judo. A Tax ID number is not required to register (so you may leave that space blank).
Notification of Application Acceptance
You will receive an e-mail at the e-mail address provided in your profile when your application has been received.
Any application that is late, incomplete or requesting funds for an event or purchase of equipment that will occur before the applicant would receive the grant money will not be accepted.
Other conditions under which an application will not be accepted:
- Applications that are e-mailed or faxed
- Applications for programs that require compulsory religious participation
- Applications requesting funding towards the purchase of land, construction of buildings, event sponsorships, providing scholarships to individuals and/or the purchase/care of animals
- Applications requesting retroactive funding
If after reading these guidelines carefully you still have questions, please contact Elizabeth Flores-Amaya: 516.307.3915 or EFlores-Amaya@WomensSportsFoundation.org.