Disney Banning Junk Food Ads on Kids Channels
On Tuesday, the Walt Disney Company announced its initiative to ban junk food advertisements from its TV channels, websites and radio networks that target children. Companies that wish to advertise food and beverages on Disney networks will now have to meet Disney’s nutritional standards. Disney’s plan, which will not go into effect until 2015, will drop fast-food, junk food, and candy advertisements.
Roger A. Iger, Disney’s Chairman, told the New York Times, “Companies in a position to help with solutions to childhood obesity should do just that. This is not altruistic. This is about smart business.”
In 2006, Disney implemented nutritional guidelines in their parks and resorts. They sought to make 85% of the food and beverages healthy, while the other 15% consisted of special-occasion treats.
Iger continued, “We’re proud of the impact we’ve had over the last six years. We’ve taken steps across our company to support better choices for families, and now we’re taking the next important step forward by setting new food advertising standards for kids. The emotional connection kids have to our characters and stories gives us a unique opportunity to continue to inspire and encourage them to lead healthier lives.”
The Walt Disney Company is a supporter of our GoGirlGo! New York City program.